Thursday 17 November 2011

Police (5d)

Knock, Knock.
Who's there?
Police. 

TL;DR. Arrested for smoking weed in an empty parking lot.
TH;CR. I got busted for weed. It went okay.

Crime Scene
3 cars occupy the empty parking lot by my elementary. My Accord, N8's Golf and a Crown Vic. A lit up Crown Vic. It's parked blocking our exit. I can't smell the weed personally, but I know it's waffing around the immediate vicinity. A roach rests littered somewhere near N8's car. A half quad of Kush sits sealed up and hidden in my laptop bag. Our rolling kit rests inside my pockets, consisting of a grinder and Zig-Zags. The officer exits his vehicle and heads towards my car mag light drawn. I roll down my window expectantly. Shit.


Busted
The light beam hits my bloodshot eyes as the police officer stands outside my car window. "May I see you license and registr--". Officer Latino (TH;CR: Forgot to look at the badge number and name tag) gets a wiff of the marijuana. "Were you smoking mar-wah-jwana?" Officer Latino asks harshly, emphasizing the word marijuana and shining the mag light into my eyes.
"Eh..." I pause a bit before continuing, "Yes, officer." I answer nervously. Aw fuck, I knew we should've left right after smoking that J.
"Give me everything you have on you... and your license and registration." Commands Officer Latino. I reach into the front pocket of my laptop bag and pull out a half-quad of zip-locked Kush. Kush that I had just picked up earlier in the evening. $35 worth of weed that I barely got to enjoy. Officer Latino takes my bag, inspects it and returns his gaze back at me, "Do you have any weapons or other drugs on you?"
I shiver in fear and manage a "No sir."
"Is this everything you have?" He interrogates.
"Yes sir." I push out another reply.
"If I find anything else on you, you will be charged immediately, I will ask you again. Do you have anything else on you?"
The blood drains from my face and I shake out an answer. "This is all I have officer."

The Pat Down
"Please step out of your vehicle." He commands. I stepped out, and take extra care keeping my hands in sight.
"Empty all your pockets and put everything on the hood please." I rummage through my jeans pulling out my cellphone, open up my jacket pulling out my empty wallet from the inner pocket, take out my green grinder in the left pocket, and Zig-Zags in the right. My keys are still in the ignition. The items sit in a neat pile on my hood.
"Please put your hands on the hood and spread your legs apart." I comply and stand by my car with my jacket unzipped. Officer Latino reaches into my jacket and starts patting it down and around the back to the other side. He does the same thing along my arms over my shoulders and to the other side. The officer crouches down and begins patting down my legs and he double checks my socks.
"I'm going to search your vehicle." He informs me.
I nod.

Car Search
Officer Latino opens up the driver side door and pops the trunk. I close my eyes and begin to picture the sounds with the imaginary images of him searching through my car. I hear trunk pop open side compartment open, that's where the carjack and wrench is located. The trunk plastic matting slides up and he lifts the trunk padding taking a look at the spare tire. He opens up the passenger door and aims his lights under the seat, back of the seat, and into the side pockets on the door. The officer moves around to the front of the vehicle opens up the glove box, center stand and CD holder.

Arrested
"You are under arrest, but I am not placing you in handcuffs because you have been compliant. Do you understand?"
I nod again. Shit shit shit! Dear God, if you exist, now would be a good time to give me a miracle. Please God, I've been good, haven't hurt anyone, stolen anything or trash talk about you. I  know I haven't been praying nearly enough, but this can't be it. I promise I'll pray more often.
Officer Latino heads back into his cruiser and I sit in the car and start shitting bricks.

State Laws and Family Law
The initial shock is over, I begin to plan for the worst case scenario and analyze the situation. My brother can come pick up the car. I have Clai on speed dial and he can help me post bail and hook me up with a lawyer. N8 is safe because he doesn't have chronic on him. I have 3.5 grams of chronic, well under the 30 gram mandatory trafficking charge limit, no digi (scale), and a single Zip-lock bag. I have Zig-Zags and a grinder to dispute for personal use and get off with a possession charge with  no criminal record, just a small fine and community hours. Parents. I have absolutely no solution for that problem. I guess I could tell my dad that it's not that bad and my uncle (his brother) after all, served in the Canadian military and tripped up on LSD back in the day. He should be more liberal. My mom is a whole other story. I stop my thought process at this point and continue shitting bricks.

Get Out of Jail Free
Officer Latino comes back and hands back my wallet, and cellphone left on my hood. "You in university?"
"Yes officer." I reply.
"What are you studying?" He prods.
"Communications." I say.
"Don't do stuff like this, you have a bright future ahead of you. I'm not going to charge you this time. You won't be needing this." He gestures to my grinder and Zig-Zags. "I only going to confiscate your items this time. Don't let me catch you again."
"Thank you officer." I reply gratefully and make a quiet prayer of thanks to God.
"Are you sure you're okay to drive home? Your eyes look shot."
"Yes officer, I'll be okay. I live across the street." Officer Latino leaves and heads back into his cruiser. He makes a U-turn and sits in the school parking lot. I start my engine and drive across the parking lot, I stop at the school crosswalk and slowly edge my car over the bump. Fuck, I'm tripping balls, there's no speed bump, only crosswalk lines. Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment